On 19 June 2013, through Resolution RPC-SO-23-No.243.2013, The Council for Higher Education, in its Twenty-Third Ordinary Session, approved the Statutes of ESPOL.
Authorities and Organs of government
The government of the Escuela Superior Politécnica del Litoral is drawn from its academic staff, graduates, students, service personnel and workers, in the proportions established by the Law of Higher Education and the Statutes of ESPOL. The Polytechnic Council is the highest collegiate academic organ within the Institution.
The organs of co-government in ESPOL are:
- The Polytechnic Council, and
- The Governing Boards of each College
The institutional authorities, in hierarchical order, are as follows:
- The Rector, who is the first executive authority of ESPOL;
- The Academic Vice Rector
The academic authorities, in hierarchical order, are as follows:
- Deans of the Colleges, Research, Postgraduates; and,
- The Dean of the Business School;
- Subdeans of the Colleges;
The academic managers, in hierarchical order, are as follows:
- Heads of departments, of research centers and of specific teaching centers;
- Degree course coordinators and postgraduate program coordinators.
In addition, there will be Commissions and Consultative Commitees for Degree Courses acting as consultative bodies below the Polytechnic Council and the Rector, reporting to the Polytechnic Council through the Rector.
The academic structure comprises, in a harmonious interrelated system, the distinct levels of management, executive, support and consultation around the functions of: teaching, research and social outreach.
The level of management corresponds to the Polytechnic Council which is the highest collegiate academic organ; the Rector. who is the first executive authority of ESPOL; and the Academic Vice Rector, who is responsible for the quality of teaching, research and relations between teaching-research and social outreach.
The executive level comprises the Colleges, departments, research centers, specific teaching centers, degree courses, postgraduate programs and any other bodies that may be created by the Polytechnic Council.
The consultative level comprises the Teaching Commission, the Research Commission, The Quality Assurance Commission; The Social Outreach Commission; and any others that may be created by the Polytechnic Council.
The support level comprises the Registrar (STA); the Secretariat for Quality Assurance in Higher Education; the Center For Educational Research and Services; and any others that may be created by the Polytechnic Council.
About the Support and Consultative Bodies
Institutional Management will be carried out through support and consultative units whose organization and functions will be detailed in the Organic Functional Manual to be approved by the Polytechnic Council.
Support Units will report directly to the Rector, and are as follows:
- Administrative Management
- Financial Management
- Legal Management
- Strategic and Planning Management
- Physical Infrastructure Management
- Technology and Information Services Management
- Foreign Affairs
- Social Communication and Public Affairs Management
- Polythecnic and Student Welfare
- Administrative Secretariat
- Any others that may be created by the Polytechnic Council.
The authorities elected to lead ESPOL for the period 2012-2017 are the Rector, Ing. Sergio Flores Macías, and the Academic Vice Rector, Cecilia Paredes Verduga Ph.D.